Top 10 Spots that Need it Most, Part 1
Part 1 of a two part blog today, stay tuned for part 2 next week!
I get asked a lot what the most important room in your home is to get organized. My answer of course is always “the one that bothers you the most”. I may walk into your environment and think “wow this _______ really needs help”—but you know what? It might not be your biggest priority! The one you need to organize first is the one that bothers you the most, because if it’s always bugging you and hanging over your head it doesn’t matter as much what the other areas are. That said, here are the top 10 places I get asked about the most, in no particular order:
1) The KITCHEN. Not a huge surprise here…it’s the heart of the home, gets used every day, and has multiple odd shaped items that can be awkward to store. It seems like “everything in its place” can be frustrating here. But the good news is, once you have a system, it’s fairly easy to maintain. The trick is to get everyone in the family on board.
2) The PANTRY—sometimes this is part of your kitchen, sometimes it’s a separate room. Multiple packages, boxes, jars---AARGH! It can be maddening, especially if items are stored haphazardly. Don’t forget to stay on top of expiration dates too.
3) The BATHROOM…whether it’s the master bath, the guest bath, or the kids bath, it’s..well..the bath..lots of tubes, jars, etc. The trick in this room is keep it simple---the more use it gets, the simpler it needs to be to maintain.
4) The SPARE ROOM, call it the guest room, the office, the spare room or (be honest) the extra-place-to-put-things room, if you are not careful all of a sudden it’s taken on a life of its own and…well…you know…
5) The TOY room (or play room, or Family room if you have it)—it’s a condundrum for sure—if your kids would just PLAY in their play room it would be great, wouldn’t it? How many Legos and Barbie shoes migrate out of that room? You want your kids to play where the family is, but then their stuff winds out there too….A well organized way to clean up makes a huge difference when they are done, otherwise they, um, DON’T.
Think about these areas this week in YOUR environment....start where you can, and let us know if we can help. Remember, it's not about the stuff....